//

Valentina Shevchenko on ‘Fight Island’: ‘I want to train there... I want to live there!’

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Flyweight queen Valentina Shevchenko is very excited about the prospect of Dana White’s “Fight Island,” and insisted that not only does she want to fight on the island, she wouldn’t mind having her training camp and her post-fight recovery on location too.

Although there has been no information released on the project, the UFC president has underlined on several occasions that “Fight Island is real” and he very much intends to host events there in the future.

When the champion heard about it, it was music to her ears.

“It’s such a great idea, from the first second I heard about it I was like, ‘I would definitely be there,’” Shevchenko told MMA Fighting’s Eurobash podcast. “I want to fight on the island, I want to train there...I want to live there! I want to spend my time there, definitely.”

“I love to do my training camps in places that are more suited for the climate and if I have to fight on the island, why can I not train there?” the champion pondered. “It would probably be great to have a training camp there and then fight there...and then stay a little bit of extra time after to recover. How does that sound? For me, it sounds great!”

Although her initial June title defense against Joanne Calderwood has been postponed, Shevchenko wouldn’t rule out her next outing happening on “Fight Island”

“Yes, it could be,” Shevchenko replied when asked if she thought her next fight could take place on the highly publicized peninsula. “If this is a possibility, I would be more than glad to do the fight there, definitely.”

The champion expect to be back in action in August.

“This is what the doctors told me, the end of August, and I’ll probably have to rush things a little bit for that [to happen] at the end of August. I think that’s a real date for my return, it’s just that I have to work a lot.”

Check out Valentina Shevchenko’s latest appearance on Eurobash. It begins at 15:00.

No comments