//

Tatiana Suarez suffers ‘very bad knee injury,’ out of UFC 266

UFC 238: Cejudo v Moraes
Tatiana Suarez will not compete at UFC 266 after suffering a knee injury. | Photo by Todd Lussier/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

Suarez was scheduled to fight Roxanne Modafferi at flyweight.

The setbacks continue for UFC contender Tatiana Suarez.

In a video published on her Instagram account, The Ultimate Fighter 23 strawweight winner revealed that she will be unable to fight Roxanne Modafferi at September’s UFC 266 due to an injury that will sideline her indefinitely.

“I sustained a very bad knee injury and now I need surgery,” Suarez said. “I can’t believe it’s my reality, but it is and when they do a story on me, it’s going to be the most kickass story out there, ‘cause when I make my comeback, it’s going to be amazing and I can’t wait for it.

“I’m going to stay positive. I’m going to remain positive. I know that this is going to be hard. Injuries are always hard, mentally more than physically but I can do it.”

Suarez (8-0) did not specify what happened with her knee and didn’t give a timetable, but “very bad knee injury” usually doesn’t push you back a couple of weeks.

The last time Suarez fought inside the Octagon was when she defeated Nina Nunes by unanimous decision two years ago at UFC 238. Since then she’s been out of action with a neck injury and was slated to make a move up to flyweight to mark her comeback.

As for Modafferi, the plan is for her to remain on UFC 266 against a different opponent. That pay-per-view is set for September 25th in Las Vegas and features a men’s featherweight title fight between champion Alexander Volkanovski and Brian Ortega.

No comments