//

Morning Report: Stipe Miocic plans to gain weight for trilogy with Francis Ngannou: ‘20 pounds will help’

UFC 260 Miocic v Ngannou 2: Weigh-Ins
Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC

Stipe Miocic is planning on going back to the drawing board when he does finally get a trilogy with Francis Ngannou.

Heading into UFC 260, much was made about the weight difference between the two top heavyweights: Miocic came in at 234 pounds while Ngannou weighed 263. This was, at least in part, by design. Miocic had great success in his second and third fights with Daniel Cormier in part because he slimmed down and for Ngannou, the then-heavyweight champion was once again putting a premium on speed. Obviously, that didn’t work out for him though as Ngannou knocked out Miocic in the second round, but the former two-time champion is planning to learn from his mistakes by bulking up whenever the two do have their rubber match.

“I want to get back what’s mine,” Miocic told The Pat McAfee Show. “It’s bulking season. I’m gonna eat as much as I can and get big and strong... I’m trying to get to like, 250. I made 230 last time, not because I tried, but because of training. I’m really going to stick to really trying to gain a little bit of weight, a little bit more mass. I felt good but I think 20 pounds will help. I will feel a lot stronger and he’s a big dude. (Laughs). There’s no question about it.”

Fortunately for Miocic, it seems like he’ll have plenty of time to bulk up. The newly crowned heavyweight champion has shown little interest in an immediate rematch with Miocic nor has the UFC. Instead, a superfight between Ngannou and former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was the preferred next step for “The Predator” but with Jones still being engrossed in a dispute over pay, things seem to be pointing towards a summer rematch between Ngannou and Derrick Lewis for the heavyweight title. That leaves the former champion without line of sight towards a title shot for at least half a year, if not more. Whenever it does come though, Miocic is planning to avoid the same mistake that cost him the heavyweight strap.

“I felt good,” Miocic said. “I gave him the first round but I wasn’t worried. He’s usually stronger in the first round. I kind of felt him gassing a little bit but he was still good and I was like, ‘Okay, we’ve still got four more rounds to go.’ Then I hit him with a right hand and I hesitated for a split second and he caught me with that hook. What are you gonna do?”

For now it seems, the answer is “wait,” which Miocic seems content with. His wife is currently pregnant and Miocic says he was planning to take time off to spend with his family anyway. But as rumors have circulated that at 38 years old and with an undeniable legacy in the sport, perhaps Miocic would walk away, the former champion assures everyone he’s not done yet.

“I hate losing more than anyone,” Miocic said. “I’m the most competitive person you’ll ever meet and I’m still but hurt about it, but it is what it is. It’s part of the game and I lost. I’ve got to swallow my pride and get back on the horse.”


TOP STORIES

Results. Aung La N Sang, Eddie Alvarez, and Reug Reug all lose at ONE on TNT 4.

$$$$. Conor McGregor sells majority stake in Proper 12 for $600 million.

Hero. Francis Ngannou gets hero’s welcome in first trip to Cameroon as UFC heavyweight champion.

Out. Diego Sanchez out of fight with Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone, search for replacement underway

Sure. Colby Covington saw ‘a lot of weaknesses’ In Kamaru Usman’s win at UFC 261.


VIDEO STEW

The A-Side Live Chat.

Bellator Virtual Press Conference.

UFC 261: Fight Motion.

Light heavyweight rundown.

PFL 2 weigh-ins.

Highlights from the Ok Raw Yoon-Eddie Alvarez fight.


LISTEN UP

Heavy Hands. Recapping UFC 261 and looking ahead to this weekend.

Jack Slack. Discussing the dual paths of football hooliganism and bushido.


SOCIAL MEDIA BOUILLABAISSE

Offers.

Or perhaps Cowboy can beat Tumenov?

Aoki’s response translates to “Eat s***.”

Boxing.

These two.

Good spirits.


FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Jordan Young (11-1) vs. Askar Mozharov (23-7); PFL #2, April 29.

Rodolfo Vieira (7-1) vs. Dustin Stoltzfus (13-2); UFC Fight Night, July 17.


FINAL THOUGHTS

Thanks for reading and see y’all tomorrow.


EXIT POLL


If you find something you’d like to see in the Morning Report, hit up @JedKMeshew on Twitter and let him know about it. Also follow MMAFighting on Instagram and like us on Facebook.

No comments