//

Darren Till says Mike Perry took his insults ‘the wrong way’: It was only banter

Darren Till Media Day - UFC Gym Nottingham Photo by Zac Goodwin/PA Images via Getty Images

“You have to be able to take it all on the chin, and he obviously can’t.

Mike Perry really has it in for Darren Till.

‘Platinum’ threatened to attack Till on the street following ‘The Gorilla’s’ derogatory remarks about his girlfriend and subsequent creation of mikeperryisabum.com, a mock website dedicated to insulting Perry online.

“If I see him in person, I’m going to fight him. Nobody’s going to stop me. I’m going to grab him. I’m going to stick my finger is in his eye, and I’m going to get ahold of him. I’ll say it out loud because I don’t care,” Perry said following his dominant unanimous decision win over Mickey Gall at UFC on ESPN 12.

Till has since responded by labelling Perry oversensitive and claims he’d have no problem taking care of Perry if the 28-year-old tried to attack him on the street.

“I think it’s just because he’s got a new girl and stuff (like) that probably, a little bit, offended his sensitivity. But that’s the fight game, mate,” Till told BT Sport ahead of his headlining middleweight bout with Robert Whittaker this weekend (h/t Mike Heck of MMA Fighting). “You have to be able to take it all on the chin, and he obviously can’t.

“So he’s talking like next time he sees me, he’s gonna poke me in the eye or something. Come on, mate, we both know that’s not gonna happen. I’m [6-foot-2]. I’d lift him straight off his feet, but I don’t take offense to it. Let him take offense to it.”

Till went on to state that his banter with Perry was nothing personal and wished the Floridan all the best going forward.

“It was time – nothing to do, one training session a day,” Till said. “We were all bored out of our minds. I thought, ‘How can I make this a better experience for everyone who follows me?’ So everyone knows I was having jokes with the champ and that, then having jokes with Mike Perry, (he) took it the wrong way.

“That’s all I did, and I’ve got a good sense of humor and I know how to write things and word things.”

“I hope he does well,” he added. “I hope he gets the fights he wants, (but) he’s never going to fight me. I’m fighting contenders, former champs. He needs to worry about his path first before he starts worrying about me, because he ain’t getting that fight.”

UFC on ESPN 14: Whittaker vs. Till takes place this Saturday, July 26 at the UFC Fight Island facility in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

No comments