//

Covington on turbulent relationship with Dana White: ‘It’s getting better’

UFC 225: Dos Anjos v Covington Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

“He understands what I’m doing. He understands the business that I bring to this company and I put myself out there.”

After multiple missed title shot opportunities, tough negotations, and tongue-in-cheek threats, it’s no surprise that Colby Covington hasn’t exactly been on the best of terms with UFC president Dana White.

According to a recent interview with MMA Fighting’s Mike Heck, however, Covington and White’s troubled relationship is on the mend and White is finally started to acknowledge Covington’s sharp business acumen and unconventional brilliance.

“It’s getting better,” Covington said of his relationship with White (h/t Alexander K. Lee). “He understands what I’m doing. He understands the business that I bring to this company and I put myself out there. Not a lot of these fighters want to put themselves out there because they’re scared of the fall. I know I’m not gonna fall. I know I’m the best and I’m willing to put it all on the line, and I’m willing to make it exciting and entertaining because that’s what it’s all about.

“This is entertainment show business. I want to make it exciting for the fans. I want to give them some hope, some inspiration, and that’s why I do what I do.”

Covington, who recently hinted of a move to the WWE, offered to fight Tyron Woodley in a short notice fight at UFC 249 but the event was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic. The former interim welterweight champion is thought to still be recovering from his title loss to Kamaru Usman at UFC 245.

No comments