//

Volkanovski: I want rematch with Holloway to prove I’m the featherweight GOAT

Max Holloway v Alexander Volkanovski Photo by Steve Marcus/Getty Images

“For me, it’s the biggest fight in my career right now. To solidify myself as the greatest featherweight of all time and one of the greatest of all time.”

Despite Alexander Volkanovski’s dominant unanimous decision win over Max Holloway at UFC 245, some fans aren’t convinced the Aussie is a worthy champion.

If that’s the case, the newly-crowned UFC featherweight champ is willing to rematch Holloway to prove that he really is ‘the greatest featherweight of all time’.

Speaking to TMZ Sports in a recent interview, Volkanovski (21-1 MMA, 8-0 UFC) said back-to-back wins over ‘Blessed’ would help cement his legacy as not just the greatest featherweight champion of all time but one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters in the sport.

“I think so. Obviously, it’s what UFC wants…And I think I want it,” Volkanovski said (h/t Jordan Ellis of Low Kick MMA). “I want that fight because there is no clear number one contender, and he’s a great champion. For me, it’s the biggest fight in my career right now. To solidify myself as the greatest featherweight of all time and one of the greatest of all time. I go take out Max twice in his prime. People are going to give me the respect I deserve. And, again, I want to fight on home soil in Perth.”

Volkanovski said the rematch will likely headline the upcoming UFC 251 pay-per-view at Perth Arena in Perth, Australia on June 6 but admits the bout is far from finalized.

“I reckon we’re going to make it happen,” he said. “But, nothings a done deal. We haven’t even had them talks. I’ve just got cleared (to fight). So, some people are going to say is it too early for me to get back in. I don’t want to sit on the sidelines too long, and I want to defend my belt in Australia. That Perth card, June 6 – we’re going to make it happen.”

Expect an official fight announcement in the coming weeks.

No comments