//

Sandhagen: Cruz ‘changed his mind,’ doesn’t want UFC San Diego bout

UFC 241: Weigh-ins Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

Cory Sandhagen is searching for a new dance partner at UFC San Diego after Dominick Cruz no longer wants to fight him.

Any hope that Dominick Cruz would be making just UFC return in May has now been lost, according to Cory Sandhagen.

The former UFC bantamweight champion Cruz (22-2) hasn’t fought since December 2016, when he lost his title to Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207. Since that fight, Sandhagen (12-1) has debuted for the UFC and gone on to win five straight fights at 135-pounds.

Talking recently to Aaron Bronsteter of TSN, Sandhagen said Cruz changed his mind after agreeing to fight at UFC San Diego on May 16th.

“I’m not too big on saying things outside the power of what I actually know to be true. What I know to be true is that he [Cruz] asked to fight in San Diego and I’ve been asking for a fight from any of the three guys ahead of him, Yan, Moraes, Aljamain. (Transcription via BJ Penn.com)

“So, I think the UFC was on board with making that fight and then I guess from what I understand, Cruz also asked to be on that San Diego card and then I guess changed his mind and didn’t want to fight on the card,” he continued. “You can interpret that however you like but that is the information I got. I don’t think that I am fighting, that is what I’m saying.”

Currently ranked fourth in the UFC bantamweight rankings, Sandhagen said he still hopes to remain on the San Diego card and he does have an opponent in kind, but he can’t reveal who it is yet.

“There is an opponent we are likely going to do,” Sandhagen said. “I don’t know how much I can talk about it yet. It’s probably your second guess from Dominick Cruz.”

No comments